Tomorrow night, Fort Lauderdale’s premiere counterculture party Black Friday celebrates its 2 year anniversary. Maintaining any weekly party this long in Broward County is quite a feat, let alone a ‘niche’ party such as Black Friday. Congratulations to the team that has kept it going since 2011 (full disclosure: I worked at Green Room).
To commemorate the event, Miami new wave band Astari Nite will be performing (check out their great dance single Pyramids) alongside reunited Shattered Glass Playground. Burlesque dancers, fire dancers, and aerialists will be on hand. Resident DJ’s & Black Friday founders LinderSMASH and Kaos will be spinning all night.
To switch things up a bit, I decided to try to ‘write’ a Buzzfeed-style article to build some buzz around the event. Because I am a fan of the party, but wouldn’t consider myself an avid attendee, I probably missed some good ones. Feel free to comment with things I should add. I hope you enjoy.
unless they’re playing songs by these guys
or these guys
or definitely these guys
played by these guys.
2. You’ll never forgive the local band that DARED to play 2 original songs during a NIN tribute.
3. These local bands are cool.
4. You’ve unsuccessfully tried to describe Black Friday, (wait for it) without using the word goth or fetish
and you end up using a variation of goth anyway, like gothy or goth-esque or, heck, upside down crosses.
6. You love cosplay, and will find any excuse to wear a costume out
7. You recognize this flyer.
8. You’ve experienced thee true Fort Lauderdale Zombie Walk
and kind of feel bad for local zombie walks that try to compete.
9. Man, that Star Wars party kicked ass.
10. You enjoy watching non-suspecting America’s Backyard customers wander in
and watching them stay all night.
11. You’ve anticipated the door girl’s latest costume (what up Kayla).
12. You’ve been served drinks by The Kitten Emperor (what up Jonny).
13. You like tattoos
and you like going to tattoo art shows.
14. You’ve stayed on the dance floor from the beginning of the night to the end.
15. You’ve waited outside of Green Room, waiting for a bar mitzvah to let out.
16. You remember seeing a photo on Facebook of an old man with a string tied around his genitals.
and then you didn’t see it because someone at Green Room probably got scolded for posting photos of an old man with a string tied to his genitals on Facebook.
17. You’re into burlesque.
18. You’ve witnessed a human piñata.
19. You know this place.
20. You have a good friend that dreams of being a Power Ranger.
21. You’ve either requested for MORE industrial
or less industrial
and then realize that LinderSMASH and Kaos know what they’re doing (chillax).
The party starts at 10pm at Green Room in downtown Fort Lauderdale, no cover, 21+. For more info, click on Black Friday’s Facebook page
Latest posts by Miguel Bravo (see all)
- Astari Nite’s New Music Video For ‘Pyramids’, One Wild Art Show - November 22, 2013
- Humaya Films Debuts Short Film Memento Mori at Classic Gateway Theater - July 22, 2013
- 21 Signs You Go To Black Friday at Green Room - July 18, 2013