Update: Black Friday is now 3 years old and back in Fort Lauderdale at Bar Stache.
Fort Lauderdale’s premiere counterculture party Black Friday thrived for 2 interesting years. Maintaining any weekly party this long in Broward County is quite a feat, let alone a ‘niche’ party such as Black Friday. Congratulations to the team that has kept it going– now at Vagabond in Miami– since 2011 (full disclosure: I worked at Green Room). To commemorate their 2 year anniversary, Miami new wave band Astari Nite performed (check out their great dance single Pyramids) alongside reunited Shattered Glass Playground. Burlesque dancers, fire dancers, and aerialists were on hand. Resident DJ’s & Black Friday founders LinderSMASH and Kaos spun all night.
To switch things up a bit, I decided to try to ‘write’ a Buzzfeed-style article to remember the weekly party. Because I am a fan, but wouldn’t consider myself an avid attendee, I probably missed some good ones. Feel free to comment with things I should add. I hope you enjoy.
unless they’re playing songs by these guys
or these guys
or definitely these guys
played by these guys.
2. You’ll never forgive the local band that DARED to play 2 original songs during a NIN tribute.
3. These local bands are cool.
4. You’ve unsuccessfully tried to describe Black Friday, (wait for it) without using the word goth or fetish
and you end up using a variation of goth anyway, like gothy or goth-esque or, heck, upside down crosses.
6. You love cosplay, and will find any excuse to wear a costume out
7. You recognize this flyer.
8. You’ve experienced thee true Fort Lauderdale Zombie Walk
and kind of feel bad for local zombie walks that try to compete.
9. Man, that Star Wars party kicked ass.
10. You enjoy watching non-suspecting America’s Backyard customers wander in
and watching them stay all night.
11. You’ve anticipated the door girl’s latest costume (what up Kayla).
12. You’ve been served drinks by The Kitten Emperor (what up Jonny).
13. You like tattoos
and you like going to tattoo art shows.
14. You’ve stayed on the dance floor from the beginning of the night to the end.
15. You’ve waited outside of Green Room, waiting for a bar mitzvah to let out.
16. You remember seeing a photo on Facebook of an old man with a string tied around his genitals.
and then you didn’t see it because someone at Green Room probably got scolded for posting photos of an old man with a string tied to his genitals on Facebook.
17. You’re into burlesque.
18. You’ve witnessed a human piñata.
19. You know this place.
20. You have a good friend that dreams of being a Power Ranger.
21. You’ve either requested for MORE industrial
or less industrial
and then realize that LinderSMASH and Kaos know what they’re doing (chillax).
Latest posts by Miguel Bravo (see all)
- Get a Glimpse into The Von’s Studio and New Single ‘Nothing To Fear’ - April 8, 2015
- 16 Blog Posts To Remember Green Room - March 13, 2014
- The Keg On 6th Opens In Newly-Named Airport District - March 11, 2014